W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-apa@w3.org > June 2016

Minutes from 6/29/16

From: John Foliot <john.foliot@deque.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 12:03:30 -0500
Message-ID: <CAKdCpxw14cMsZSzbVi1MUyN=wKaBozGdmuiAdzBduw6JgYp-mA@mail.gmail.com>
To: W3C WAI Accessible Platform Architectures <public-apa@w3.org>
Hi all, the minutes form today's call can be found at:
https://www.w3.org/2016/06/29-apa-minutes.html

or copied below:

- DRAFT -
Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference29 Jun 2016

See also: IRC log <http://www.w3.org/2016/06/29-apa-irc>
Attendees
PresentJanina, Joanmarie_Diggs, MichaelC, JF, Fred, Gottfried, Rich, fesch,
CynthiaRegretsChairJaninaScribeJF
Contents

   - Topics <https://www.w3.org/2016/06/29-apa-minutes.html#agenda>
      1. preview agenda with items from two minutes
      <https://www.w3.org/2016/06/29-apa-minutes.html#item01>
      2. RQTF Reminder
      http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2016Jun/0042.html
      <https://www.w3.org/2016/06/29-apa-minutes.html#item02>
      3. SVG Nested Links?
      http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2016Jun/0054.html
      <https://www.w3.org/2016/06/29-apa-minutes.html#item03>
      4. TPAC 2016 Planning
      <https://www.w3.org/2016/06/29-apa-minutes.html#item04>
      5. Formal Review Request
      http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2016Jun/0059.html
      <https://www.w3.org/2016/06/29-apa-minutes.html#item05>
      6. Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8
      <https://www.w3.org/2016/06/29-apa-minutes.html#item06>
      7. new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html
      <https://www.w3.org/2016/06/29-apa-minutes.html#item07>
      8. HTML 5.1 input type="password
      http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2016Jun/0053.html
      <https://www.w3.org/2016/06/29-apa-minutes.html#item08>
      9. HTML 5.1 Diff Review -- Cynthia, Michiel
      <https://www.w3.org/2016/06/29-apa-minutes.html#item09>
      10. CSS A11y TF Draft
      https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/css-a11y/work-statement
      <https://www.w3.org/2016/06/29-apa-minutes.html#item10>
   - Summary of Action Items
   <https://www.w3.org/2016/06/29-apa-minutes.html#ActionSummary>
   - Summary of Resolutions
   <https://www.w3.org/2016/06/29-apa-minutes.html#ResolutionSummary>

------------------------------

preview agenda with items from two minutes

<scribe> scribe: JF

JS: any edits to agenda?
... any news?

Gottfried:

at meeting in prague - new standard on usesr-preferences

and new API

this will be of intereste to W3C
RQTF Reminder
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2016Jun/0042.html

JS: reminder that this TF is still recruiting

<Gottfried> GZ: JTC1 SC36 is going to develop a revision of 24751-1 on user
preferences which will include a registry for concepts, a format for
preference sets and and API for preference servers.

JS: we need a good group organized here, we will be dependent on them going
forwaard
SVG Nested Links?
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2016Jun/0054.html

JS: Fred had some question on this topic

FE: active discussion on the ARIA thread, and we will be discussing later
today on SVG WG call
... have received lots of good feedback
TPAC 2016 Planning

JS: actively soliciting agenda ideas for TPAC
... please add to the wiki
Formal Review Request
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2016Jun/0059.html

JS: we have received a formal request to do a formal review

we need to respond on this spec

JS: thinks Fred might have had an action item on this, but thinking of
asking Matt King to respond

JF: what about Research TF?

JS: too soon - this is a request to comment on a spec going through
transition

MC: yes, there is some additional time-line pressure on this
... they may have intended for us to review the CR version, but the 'rush'
was a bit of a shock

<MichaelC> Webmention and Activity Streams are docs we decided we don't
need to review. Micropub is one we wanted to come back to, so perhaps it's
time now. Social Web Protocols is one we assigned to Fred back in January
but he hasn't returned on that yet.

MC: some of these are going to CR soon - dates not available

FE: if I had an action item on this... it was a low-level thing
... don't remember this

MC: wiki doesn't show anything. Possible we missed deferring this - need to
crosscheck

FE: I can look at this again

<MichaelC> action-2002?

<trackbot> action-2002 -- Fred Esch to Review social web protocols
https://www.w3.org/tr/social-web-protocols/ -- due 2016-01-20 -- CLOSED

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2002

JS: there are a couple of specs here - we may need to break this up. Divide
and conquer

MC: it seems the only spec we need to worry about is MicroPub

FE: I recall this being very low-level: little tiny APIs

MC: believes this is in the tracker... will look into this

<MichaelC> action-2014 due 1 week

<trackbot> Set action-2014 Review micropub https://www.w3.org/tr/micropub/ due
date to 2016-07-06.

MC: will set this to next week - asigned to Fred E.
... recommend we respond to taht group, with a note to wait on review of
MicroPub
... if anyone else wants to re-review feel free, but we feel they were done
alreay
Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8

MC: lots of revies due today

2 actions on cynthia and Michiel - neither on call

MC: will re-assign.

<MichaelC> action-2064 due 1 week

<trackbot> Set action-2064 Review html 5.1 diff to determine scope of
review needed https://www.w3.org/tr/html51/changes.html#changes due date to
2016-07-06.

action-2064

<trackbot> action-2064 -- Janina Sajka to Review html 5.1 diff to determine
scope of review needed https://www.w3.org/tr/html51/changes.html#changes --
due 2016-07-06 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2064

action-2063

<trackbot> action-2063 -- Janina Sajka to Review internationalization best
practices for spec developers https://www.w3.org/tr/international-specs/ --
due 2016-06-29 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2063

<MichaelC> action-2063 due 2 weeks

<trackbot> Set action-2063 Review internationalization best practices for
spec developers https://www.w3.org/tr/international-specs/ due date to
2016-07-13.

JS: ran out of time - will defer 2 weeks

action -2062

action-2062

<trackbot> action-2062 -- Lisa Seeman to Re-review custom counter styles
https://www.w3.org/tr/predefined-counter-styles/ -- due 2016-06-29 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2062

<MichaelC> action-2062 due 2 weeks

<trackbot> Set action-2062 Re-review custom counter styles
https://www.w3.org/tr/predefined-counter-styles/ due date to 2016-07-13.

MC: defer for 2 weeks

<MichaelC> action-2062 due 1 weeks

<trackbot> Set action-2062 Re-review custom counter styles
https://www.w3.org/tr/predefined-counter-styles/ due date to 2016-07-06.

JS: shorten this to 1 week instead

action-2058

<trackbot> action-2058 -- Cynthia Shelly to Review css properties and
values api level 1 https://www.w3.org/tr/css-properties-values-api-1/ --
due 2016-06-29 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2058

CS: will need 2 more weeks

<MichaelC> action-2058 due 2 weeks

<trackbot> Set action-2058 Review css properties and values api level 1
https://www.w3.org/tr/css-properties-values-api-1/ due date to 2016-07-13.

MC: shold we close this?

<MichaelC> close action-2058

<trackbot> Closed action-2058.

JS: likely

action-2053

<trackbot> action-2053 -- Shane McCarron to Review
https://www.w3.org/tr/webauthn/ web authentication: a web api for accessing
scoped credentials -- due 2016-06-29 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2053

<MichaelC> action-2053 due 3 weeks

<trackbot> Set action-2053 Review https://www.w3.org/tr/webauthn/ web
authentication: a web api for accessing scoped credentials due date to
2016-07-20.

defer 3 weeks

action-2048

<trackbot> action-2048 -- John Foliot to Review
https://www.w3.org/tr/ttml2/ timed
text markup language 2 (ttml2) -- due 2016-06-29 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2048

<MichaelC> action-2048 due 1 week

<trackbot> Set action-2048 Review https://www.w3.org/tr/ttml2/ timed text
markup language 2 (ttml2) due date to 2016-07-06.

action-2047

<trackbot> action-2047 -- Michiel Bijl to Review css grid layout
https://www.w3.org/tr/css-grid-1/ -- due 2016-06-29 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2047

JS: will need to defer that - leave for Michiel

MC; close action, and defer to CSS TF

MC: noting in wiki thatwe need to look at this more however

<MichaelC> close action-2040

<trackbot> Closed action-2040.

action-2011

<trackbot> action-2011 -- Janina Sajka to Janina to draft examples of how
the hand-wavey stuff in CSS Transitions accessibility statement could be
solidified -- due 2016-06-29 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2011

JS: this is still in transit - waiting on Michiel - leave open
new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

MC: 1.5 new on TR

<MichaelC> CSS Scroll Snap Module Level 1
<https://www.w3.org/TR/css-scroll-snap-1/>

CSS Scroll snap points - related to the one JF is looking at. Has been
republished as CSS Scroll snap module level 1

MC: causes a discontinuity on oour wiki - started a new wiki page
... have cleaned up our wiki {{grumble}}

<MichaelC> Page Visibility 2 <https://www.w3.org/TR/page-visibility-2/>

JF: this sort of looks like it's related to CSS visibility - if so, likely
not an issue

MC: looking at the api, it doesn't seem to be something that has an impact
on us
... will mark as 'reviewed'

{{LOL}}
HTML 5.1 input type="password
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2016Jun/0053.html

JS: large discussion. Part of it may have come into our space

Rich has noted the security issues in HTML5.1 and type="password"

JS: is this a flaw, or something thta we need to address

RS: the issue is that type=password is not secure today. Passwords can be
cached, you can inpsect and examine the password value in the UI
... this means that anyone can find your password thanks to cache - look at
the value and boom, you have somebody's password

<Zakim> MichaelC, you wanted to say second-hand report is security not
intended for HTML password and to say nonetheless JC said thereĀ“s secure
storage at least on his browser thatĀ“s not

MC: Judy has discussed this with Wendy S, and there is an intent to address
this - it's being seen as a feature not a bug

JamesN found other issues and mentioned them on a different call this week

there may be other issues due to lack of specification

in the HTML5 spec, the spec says it SHOULD mask output

but not sure exactly what is required, but we can do it at CR phase now

<Zakim> MichaelC, you wanted to say password security not actually our
domain

JS: notes this is already an issue, and W3C is aware - security group is
supposed to be chasing this

when we meet with securtiy at TPAC, we should express our concern, but not
our issue to follow up on

RS: concern is that Apple doesn't want to implement due to lack of
security, but type=password is not secure, so there isn't an issue

MC: Safari may or may not have additional security there

JS: do we want more explanatory language in the spec?

<MichaelC> (and other browsers may more may not as well)

by noting the impact on Assistive TEchnology

MC: most AT will render as masked content, but that seems tobe very base
level

RC: the other issues is that browssrs are allowing for snooping of the value

It isn't an a11y issue, but it *IS* an issue

MC: we should advise the security folks of our shock, and we can discuss
with them the impact on AT

JS: yes, we need some key-echo on mobile in paticular

MC: question is, how hard do we push the security folks with our dismay?
... need to be mindful of other WG's domains

JS: agreed, but this opens up other issues we are looking at

RC: the password role will likely be pushed to ARIA 2.0

if that is the case, I just want to avoid the retreaded discussion we had
already

we all know that password is not bery secure anyway - we recognize the need
for a fundemental change

MC: agree there is a need for change - but it isn't an APA issue

we will request time with the security folks at TPAC

we can address it then - noting our collective discomfort

JF: notes that the browsers are a critical players here

MC: correct, and the security folks need to take it to the HTML5 WG

<Zakim> joanie, you wanted to make minor technical point

Joanie: there is an actual issue with ATs - we fixed the one we found on
our platform, but there may still be an issue (HTML AAM thing?)

MC: agree
... we note that any script can get access to the value, find it weird that
AT cannot

JS: will put this on the wiki as a TPAC question - we will likely request
joint meeting
... notes as well that this is on agenda for Research TF going forward

MC: added to TPAC scratch page
HTML 5.1 Diff Review -- Cynthia, Michiel

JS: not ready to discuss this week?

CS: changes are not that large, and chatting with Travis indicated it would
take about amonth for 2-3 people

so if we broke up the change list into 3 buckets

CS: (notes re-add of @longdesc)
... the question is, can things proceed as is, versus looking at what we
missed that shuld go into 5.2

JS: any ideas on how to break up the changes into 3 buckets

CS: not really at this time - a ToDo

might start by asking for volunteers

CS: we will need to think about breaking things up: higher level process -
how docs relate to each other, what will future versions look like, and OMG
we can't ship like this today

JS: looking at the list - anything else jumping out?

<MichaelC> close action-2064

<trackbot> Closed action-2064.

JS: will re-add to agenda for next week - please look over the change log
and start thinking about taking on specifics
CSS A11y TF Draft
https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/css-a11y/work-statement

JS: sent out an email this morning

getting nervous about this info - need to do a wider announcement

CS: will do so ASAP

MC: we need to get cracking on this - work is happening now

JF: can we wait a wekk/10 days?

JS: important that we don't fall behind
... apologies to Fred, we will take up the rest of the agenda next week
... any last minute comments?
... thanks - meeting ajourned

trackbot, end meeting
Summary of Action ItemsSummary of Resolutions[End of minutes]

-- 
John Foliot
Principal Accessibility Strategist
Deque Systems Inc.
john.foliot@deque.com

Advancing the mission of digital accessibility and inclusion
Received on Wednesday, 29 June 2016 17:04:05 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 29 June 2016 17:04:06 UTC