Re: annotation status property proposal

Mark Smith wrote:

> Marja Koivunen wrote:
>

>> Thanks Mark for doing this!
>>
>> I have couple of questions and thoughts because I want to understand
>> better what we are doing from user point of view and see what other
>> options we have before committing to one (or maybe we can have
>> several options):
>>
>> 1) what the user wants to do,
>> 2) how does is work with other users, and
>> 3) how to visualize it in the user interface.
>>
>> UI extension for schema extension?
>

> It does make sense to me to talk about use cases, although I think the
> status concept is very general and may be used in many different ways.

I agree that we want to make the status concept general. Examining
different user scenarios should help us to do that even better.

For instance, if we just add a status property for an annotation with
selected predefined status values, it means that the user who creates
the annotation now also creates the status value.  If the status value
is selected by someone else than the creator of the annotation there is
no way to know as that information would be missing. If the status value
was changed by someone later, again there is no way to know that as we
only have information that something in the annotation was changed. In
addition, I don't see how we can gather a summary of changes and who
made the changes if we use just the status property.

I'm not saying the status property is good or bad but we should know
what we can or cannot do with it and if then decide if that is
acceptable. That's why I wanted to gather a bit more user scenarios.

And then I wanted to explain what we did with the annotation types and
some ideas based on that, which I should have probably done in a
separate mail and not mix everything :-).

Marja