Re: status property for annotations

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:07:26 -0500, Mark Smith <mcs@pearlcrescent.com>
wrote:

> Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> Is there still an active effort to produce an XML schema for iCalendar?

I think so. But I think Calendaring is complicated enough that I would
rather have it in RDF from the start.

>> It makes sense to me to start with the stuff for Todo items in
>> iCalendar, and see what should be added. I think Marja is right that
>> extending some classes/properties might be desirable for use cases.
>
> I am not sure exactly what you and Marja mean.  Are you saying that the
> set of possible status values needs to be generally extensible?  Or just
> that we need to discuss and arrive at consensus on a useful set of
> values?

Well, it's RDF. So it is extensible already. The idea is more to think
about what extensions people are making, and see if they make sense as
something more general or should remain private.

>> I also wanted to extend the iCalendar stuff with a pointer that would
>> show evidence of status (this is something I find as a pattern - the
>> more I think of using the semantic web in everyday applications the
>> more I think that it's value comes in part because that should be an
>> easy thing to do) - i.e. where someone accepted an action, or the
>> finished piece of work, or whatever.
>
> The above makes sense to me.  How do we go about updating the Annotation
> schema (http://www.w3.org/2000/10/annotation-ns#)?  I am happy to help
> in any way I can -- by writing a draft specification or doing whatever
> is necessary.

Well, the easy way is that we just do it on our own, publishing more terms
wherever we want and then implementing them. The other possibility is that
we could as the Semantic Web Best Practices group to look at a task force
on annotations. In which case we have to explain why, and figure out
whether it is worthwhile.

cheers

Chaals

--
Charles McCathieNevile                      Fundacion Sidar
charles@sidar.org   +61 409 134 136    http://www.sidar.org