Re: Annotea / Firefox problems

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to install the shared bookmarks stuff today on Firefox. I am
> running Windows, and Firefox
>
> When I start Firefox I get the following messages:
>
> It couldn't load a bookmark store that was a local file. I wonder if
> this  is a default filename that got installed.
> message:
> [[[
> The following bookmarsktores cannot be loaded
> file://... (ran off the edge of the alert window)
> Correct URI or unselect store and try again
> ]]]

I need to check if the Profile store tag is not working right or if it
is affected by the fact that the profile files are usually hidden in
your computer.

> then another message:
> [[[
> The UUID generation component is not installed in your system.
>
> The generated URIs for bookmarks use date and time information which
> is  more vulnerable to conflicts. Please use for experimentation
> ]]]

This means the for some reason the uuid xpcom component did not get
registered. Could you check if the components was copied to your machine
(they are located in your profile components/uuid.xpt and uuid.dll
because you use machintosh). If they are not there, you might have used
a wrong link but I think it is maybe the hidden files that cause problems.

> The thing has the menus, but I have not managed to get it to
> configure  properly I don't think.  (I don't quite understand how I
> should configure  from the default installation). I cannot make or
> find a bookmark.
>
> I am using Firefox 1.0 on Windows XP, I think with SP/2: Mozilla/5.0
> (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0

The configure needs some more usability work and I haven't gotten into
that yet. I'll explain that separately as need to go now.

> Any clues? Is this enough to find out what went wrong?
>
> cheers
>
> Chaals

Thanks Charles!

Marja