RE: The Dangers of Web Annotation

Sorry it’s taken me so long to respond. :

Yes, the last several days have been interesting.  It’s clear that there is a) a technological magic that sets annotation off from other kinds of discussion (twitter, reddit), and b) a certain lack of self-awareness on the part of some organizations at play here.

There is a narrative argued here (https://hyp.is/AVPIT_MqH9ZO4OKSldzh) that somehow annotations are an overlay that users bring to the page, and that this is users’ choice and page owners have no agency to protest.  While there are some obvious merits to that perspective, I think it ignores what we’re all actually trying to do here, which is to create something that ultimately ends up (more or less) in browsers, or at the very least as a pervasive technology that is widely used and generally visible.

We at H. believe that these issues must be addressed head on, and its up to all of us within the WAWG, and the larger open annotation community generally to do so.  It’s possible that there may be a role for standards here as well—curious as to others’ thoughts on that.

Several themes are emerging:

a) The notion of “consent to be annotated", i.e. can folks opt-out of annotation on their pages, and what would an opt-out mean. i.e. is it a request that can be overridden if something is in the public interest?  How do we preserve the notion of “Truth to power” that annotation represents, while giving people that create (for instance) personal pages that say very personal things some protection. (Imagine that the government of Turkey sets their sites to all be opt-out, should we respect that? Would we respect the personal blog of an [ISSUE] skeptic whose posts are widely cited and used as evidence in larger debates?).  How would such an opt-out be signaled?  Is there a standard metatag on the page that indicates a preference of the page author?  an “annotate.txt” file?  etc.   What are the things one might opt out of?  (annotation, or only some kinds of annotation [you might still want to receive copy-edits], being proxied, etc.)

b) Approaches to deal with abuse.  What are the range of policies, automation and flagging (among other things) that annotation providers should employ to lead responsible communities.

c) What else?

I absolutely think that a session, probably a panel, or panel-assisted larger group discussion, at IA on this is the perfect thing.
Maybe a double slot. That would mean reducing the number of presentations we can accept (happening separately by the program committee).

Another option would be to swap in this session for one of the unconference sessions in the afternoon (perhaps a better solution).

What I’d love suggestions on is:
- Format (panel, facilitated group discussion, hybrid, something else).
- Length
- When
- Who— if we do have some speakers, who might they be.  Are there folks in Europe people know who are particularly thoughtful about these issues?  Range of perspectives is helpful.

Thanks for bringing this up Doug, and for the follow on discussion.

Dan