Re: [web-annotation] Dropping type from ... what?

Right, this is very much the same example. And this is of course also
recognized as the HTTP Range-14 problem of separating the resource and
 the
web page about that resource -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTPRange-14

.. In this case complicated by the fact that the identifier <
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/11> here stands as the abstraction for
various information resources (pdf, epub), rather than a real-life
non-information resource like a person or building.

In this example assigning a type of dctypes:Text does not help to
disambiguate. A dc:format "text/html" would help to show you mean the
web
page though, as it would not make sense to provide dc:format on the
abstract resource.

Still, in both the case of using typing and dc:format these would be
applied directly to <http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/11> - so if you
had
two annotations in the same graph, and one using the web page about
the
ebook, and another using the identifier for the ebook, you wouldn't
know
which one is which.

If you are talking about the identifier you can also provide downlinks
the representations, e.g.

<http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/11> prov:generalizationOf <
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/11/11-h/11-h.htm>, <
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/11.epub.images>, <...>  .
<http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/11> dcterms:hasFormat <
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/11/11-h/11-h.htm>, <
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/11.epub.images>, <...>  .

Perhaps we could formalize this in the specification?  Obviously if
you use
the abstract <http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/11> as the target of
annotating the epub book, then any selectors get trickier.   I would
have
preferred for the annotation to say really which representation was
being
annotated, and then have a link to there to the abstract identifier -
thus
the abstract id could be used for discovery, while the representation
URI
can be used to know how to apply selectors, rendering etc.

This is a similar challenge as we had over dealing with content
negotiation, where we introduced oa:hasState -
http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-annotation-model-20141211/#request-header-state
Could oa:hasState and friends also be appropriate here?

On 3 September 2015 at 06:15, Ivan Herman <notifications@github.com>
wrote:

> @tkanai <https://github.com/tkanai> this is a good example, thanks.
In