Re: [web-annotation] Justify each Motivation with a behavior

> On 20 Nov 2015, at 19:43, Jacob <notifications@github.com> wrote:
>
> -1
>
> We discussed this kind of normative work with @tilgovi
<https://github.com/tilgovi> at length back in October. The primary
problem that I can see is producing the requisite user warrant to
adequately interpret each motivation in a consistent way. Some of the
motivations are so vague we have no way to determine if they are the
same or different (e.g., What is the difference between commenting and
 replying? Why say 'commenting' instead of 'remarking'?).

> This will also inevitably cause collisions when other communities
extend with their own motivations.

> I am sympathetic to your goal though. Good ontologies require that
both the writers and the software agents make certain ontological
commitments which then shape behavior. One of the problems with our
work here (and work all across the W3C from what I can see) is that we
 avoid commitments like the plague. Which of course begs the questions
 of what we expect servers to do with annotations and how can be
possibly build a useful API is the goalposts are obfuscated behind
waving hands.

> Nevertheless, developing normative behavior based on motivations
isn't a good idea. However, we might reexamine an alternative approach
 that was suggested by Bob (and Phil) Morris (not related)
specifically for the editing use case years ago. You won't like it
though. It makes a complex model even more complex.

Although your comment was for @shepazu, I would not like it either;-)
Exactly for the reason you quote: let us not add an extra complication
 to the model...

> Bob's (and Phil Morris's) suggestion was an additional property on
annotation called "expectation" that worked in conjunction with
motivation by specifying what kind of behavior the user expected to be
 taken. (E.g., execute my edit.) We could "normalize" the behavior of
motivations by using this one-two combination of motivation and
expectation (which roughly interprets to 'by A I mean do B'). This is
a really ugly solution (and was voted down almost instantly by the
community group) but it does sidestep the user warrant problem for
interpreting motivations.

<https://github.com/w3c/web-annotation/issues/113#issuecomment-158487144>.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by iherman
Please view or discuss this issue at