RE: First alpha release of Europeana's Annotation API

Hi Doug, Benjamin, all,

Thanks for your great feedback and reaction to our work! It makes us very happy to have finally something concrete to show and to discuss with the group.

... here are the answers to your coments:

http://test-annotations.europeana.eu/annotations, I'm getting a 404 for that URL in the browser.

Hugo: We havenˇ¦t implemented yet the GET methods for the annotation containers such as the main endpoint. We chose to leave their implementation for last as we needed to quickly progress with the basic functionality and the application scenarios that we wish to support... but their are definitely in our todo list.

Even if it's only intended as an endpoint for HTTP publications, there probably should be some user-readable response (and content) there, right? (I don't know the answer to thisˇK)

Hugo: About the content that we hold, it is available in the portal (http://www.europeana.eu/portal/) and machine accessible through our APIs (http://labs.europeana.eu/api), see also this record for a kind of Trombone in the current portal (http://www.europeana.eu/portal/record/09102/_UEDIN_214.html). The endpoint itself is a separate system that will hold annotations and will power the new portal which is currently under development. About the HTML view of the annotation API, we will probably redirect all HTML request to the Swagger console.

Note that this URL (and all the others you mention) works fine: http://test-annotations.europeana.eu/

Hugo: thanks for pointing it out! this is actually the old console which was purely based on HTML... we will need to redirect it to the new Swagger console.

Is it within the scope of your project to actually expose the annotations to end-users? For example, will the body of the "bus" annotation in your HistoryPin example be available on the "target" site [1]?

Hugo: the new portal will show annotations made by end-users that can both come directly from the portal (the new one) but also from other platforms that display data that is on our collections.

Or on HistoryPin itself?

Hugo: we have developed as part of our Ev3 project a roundtrip daemon that harvests annotations from HistoryPin.org for objects that came from Europeana and stores/updates them in the AnnotationAPI. It is also envisioned that the daemon will do the reverse process (from our API to HistoryPin) once we have annotations that we can share.

Another follow-upˇK does this mean that HistoryPin is also creating annotations in Web Annotation Model format, or do you somehow mediate/transform their annotations?

Hugo: HistoryPin has their own internal data model but we worked with them to have a way of exporting the data following the Web Annotation Data ModelˇK the roundtrip daemon will still need to do some quality checks and adaptations of some URIs in the data before the annotation is actually stored in the server. btw, we used the oa:equivalentTo to represent the link between the annotation we store in our server and the annotation that can be seen at the HistoryPin portal, but we were discussion on changing it to prov:wasDerivedFrom.

Or are you just intending to serve as a repository for other annotation clients to consume and display your content?

Hugo: the API will be publicly available for reuse, so that other applications can use the annotations (the ones that the user defines as public) for their own purposes. btw, this will allow our data providers a means to access and take advantage of annotations made for objects that they hold.

Either way is interesting, and I'm curious which direction you're taking.

Hugo: Thanks!

Kind regards,
Hugo