Re: [web-annotation] Annotation updated timestamp

> On 16 Nov 2015, at 22:20, BigBlueHat <notifications@github.com>
wrote:

> @azaroth42 <https://github.com/azaroth42> given those statements,
should we consider this as a possible "offline-first" annotation?

> {
>   "uuid": "...uuid...",
>   "type": "Annotation",
>   "target": "http://example.com/"
> }
> Note the lack of @id or id. Until it's published, then, it has no
known deferencable id and as such, the use of id for an offline
annotation SHOULD be avoided. However, at publication (to the Web or
some other connected URL minting thing), the id value MUST be set such
 that it becomes a proper Web Annotation.

> Does that seem like a plausible path?

My only comment is that we should not cast in concrete the usage of
UUID. It should be something generic, allowing for URN/URI-s as well.
Although not really relevant for annotations, but communities may have
 their own identifier schemes (in the case of publishing people may
want to use ISBNs or DOIs, all of these have URN/URI equivalents).
> My concern is having a "cloud requirement" for the initiating act of
 annotating--by which I mean a sign-up process to some service "on the
 Web" which will give the annotator a "namespace" in which to create
(future-use-ready) dereferencable URLs...but at the cost of the
sign-up, terms of service, pre-annotation process requirement, etc,
etc.

> My hope is to find a path where, me and my offline machine can make
annotations with the same requirements as me and my book. If I have a
"highlighter," I can annotate. No additional storage space or
permission required.

> If we can come up with a way to do that and create a dereferencable
id value, super! If not, we should at least given DPUB (and may
others) a process for "pre-Web-publication" annotations.

----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Digital Publishing Lead
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153
ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0782-2704

--
GitHub Notification of comment by iherman
Please view or discuss this issue at