From: Robert Sanderson [azaroth42@gmail.com]
Sent: 06 November 2015 19:39
To: Hugo Manguinhas
Cc: Paolo Ciccarese; W3C Public Annotation List
Subject: Re: What happened to semantic tagging?

As I understand the question, the desire is to differentiate between external resources that have machine readable representations (such as RDF) and those that are human readable (such as HTML)?  This could previously be done with foaf:page and skos:related (which would have needed changing anyway).

I think we still have the mechanics for this in a more consistent fashion: you could add the media types (using dc:format) to the resource, or a class to the source resource of the semantic tag to assert that it's a real world object :)

HM: yes, indeed... I was actually thinking the same when I saw the new pattern... actually, this goes on the direction that Stian had explained in his email: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-annotation/2015Sep/0179.html. But, I kind of liked the way it was defined before as it was less verbose since the distinction was made through the property and not by categorizing the range.... on the other hand, having just "source" makes the model simpler.

To extend the example in 4.1:

{
  "id": "http://example.org/anno13",
  "type": "Annotation",
  "body": {
    "type": "SpecificResource",
    "role": "tagging",
    "source": {
      "id": "http://example.org/city1",
      "type": "dbo:City"
  },
  "target": {
    "id": "http://example.org/photo1",
    "type": "Image"
  }
}

HM: In this case, I would be keen on stating the "tagging" motivation at the level of the annotation instead the body. In fact, I see all roles at the level of the body as a sort of categorization (type/class) of that specific resource rather than a reason... in fact, I was wondering if in such situation where motivation is set to "tagging" and no role is defined for the body, will it be enough to just have the range of the "body" containing directly the range of the "source", or does it always need to be a SpecificResource making the indirect link?

Note the importance of using source here rather than id, as the city doesn't have the role of tagging, it's the specific resource -- the use of the city in the annotation.

HM: ...and if role is defined at the top level?

(Editorially, I think the example in 4.1 should have the type: SpecificResource added to make this clearer)

HM: It would be good to know what are the implication in practice of using or not the SpecificResource indirection... or will it resume to whether it is necessary to assert something about the resource which only makes sense in the scope that specific annotation/context.