RE: Web Annotation Protocol: Searching method

Hi Rob,

Thanks a lot for your help!

We have analysed the proposal [2] and it seems to match our needs at this moment, so we will proceed on implementing it on our Annotation Server. Regarding the actual "query" request, we chose to go with a solution that uses "q" parameters for two reasons: 1) to be similar to our other APIs, and 2) because we will use SOLR on the backend. Once the search method is published as part of the spec, we will then revise our implementation.

Btw, about the "return=representation" keywords, we are considering supporting yet another flavour beyond the oa:PreferContainedDescriptions, to allow client applications to ask for the full description of the Annotations which, in our case, may result on dereferencing some results in particular for Semantic Tags. Our interest, is to allow for lightweight clients to delegate all this effort to the server instead of implementing themselves such logic (including e.g. a caching mechanism). I imagine this requirement being also shared by others... as there been any discussion on it before?

Kind regards,
Hugo

Hugo Manguinhas
Technical R&D Coordinator