Re: [web-annotation] Do we need an `annotates` relationship for use in RDF and/or Link Relationships?

Exactly as Ivan says. What we already have is very interchangeable with
"body annotates target". It's one thing that SPARQL can do pretty
reasonably. I expect that other implementations of reasoners will have
similar rule building engines.

The RDF knowledge graph is not a document format. And while Randall's
interpretation of the graph is an idiosyncratic (in the completely
nonpejorative sense), I think it's perfectly fair if he has an annotation
consuming service that simply walks the Web Anno graph into a local
annotation graph (at the price of blowing away all of that sweet, sweet
provenance metadata or keeping a now-redundant set of structured
relationships). Our focus is on the interop and interchange, how
implementations work down at the local levels (inside of repositories,
etc.) is out of scope for us.

The type of search optimizations being discussed are really only useful at
those local levels of implementation, the parts that have nothing to do
with the web itself.

Regards,

Jacob