Re: Range and point selections

Hey Randall,

Thanks for posting this, and sorry for the late reply!

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 3:29 PM, Randall Leeds <randall.leeds@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Reflecting on the selector format used by the Annotator project, also in
> use in Hypothesis, and taking inspiration from XPointer, I wonder whether
> the model would benefit from selector types that address ranges and points.
>
> The text position selector has start and end numbers. Collapsed to the
> same value, these could specify a point.
>
> However, the selector could also be generalized to a range selector that
> has a start and end selector, each just a text point.
>
> The benefit of this would be that other types of ranges of content could
> be described by existing or new point selectors, without the need to
> redefine a range for that content type.
>
> Perhaps  one could use the existing fragment selector, referencing
> XPointer with the conformsTo property, to make range descriptions for HTML,
> but maybe there's value in incorporating a similar form into the model
> directly.

This makes me wonder if we could leverage Composite (or it's possible
replacement) to use multiple fragment selectors in this way.

Regardless, it would be great to see some JSON-LD for what you're thinking
along with where the other proposed options (
https://github.com/w3c/web-annotation/issues/95 mostly) fall short.

> A number of the DPUB use cases on the wiki seem to involve ranges.

Yeah. It likely goes way beyond DPUB, but those use cases are handy, what?
:)

This is the "biggie" with regard to ranges as a topic:
http://www.w3.org/TR/dpub-annotation-uc/#h4_annotating-parts-of-embedded-resources

Thanks, Randall!
Benjamin
--