From: Robert Sanderson [mailto:azaroth42@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, March 09, 2015 3:46 PM
To: Denenberg, Ray
Cc: Web Annotation
Subject: Re: Class of an annotation body

Hi Ray,

The issue is mostly one of provenance and graph boundaries, so falls under the same discussion as named graphs for bodies discussion that we had on a recent call.

There are two main options for body resources with structure:

1.  The body is an external or embedded document containing structured data, or a named graph containing triples, such that the document/graph can be maintained and referred to separately from the annotation.  For example, a review in XML that had fields with number of stars, text of the review and so on fills the same role as a named graph containing the same information with triples instead of XML elements.

2.  The triples are part of the annotation graph, and thus cannot be referred to separately.  Consider as a parallel, the body-as-string versus body-as-resource distinction.  This is the body-as-string case, where there isn't a distinct resource to refer to... there are just triples in the annotation.  For example, the body could be a blank node with numberOfStars and rdf:value predicates.  These assertions are made by the agent that asserts the annotation, which may not be correct ... but also may not be a concern, depending on the use case.  For the general case, and hence for interoperability, the boundary of the body is another challenge.  The set of resources that are needed to make a useful body is arbitrary and use case dependent.  For dedicated systems this may not be an issue, but if you imported the annotation content into another system, it's unlikely that it would know which triples should be included and which not.

Others please do weigh in :)

Rob