Re: [web-annotation] Absolute or relative URI's in examples

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 5:16 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <
soiland-reyes@cs.manchester.ac.uk> wrote:

> You are right, the @base must be inside the @context - so to avoid
> full URIs in the JSON-LD you would have to use the verbose
>
> { "@context":  [
>     {"@base": "http://example.com"},
>     "http://www.w3.org/ns/oa/context?" ]
>
>   "..": "..."
> }

Yeah...I forgot we'd need to make @context an array...which even more
complex.

Stian, do you know why @base isn't a top-level key? Would be handy and
clearer, imo.

> Perhaps simpler is to use full URIs in the Turtle.

+1

I think this avoids making the JSON-LD look more complex, and still jives
with the Turtle world.

> People who know
> Turtle will know how to make relative URIs - while people who are a
> bit fresh will still see it at a more standard 'triple level'.  This
> should somewhat discourage people from accidentally making URIs that
> don't resolve.
>

> (Why is the oa @context missing from the JSON-LD example? Have we
> decided on a URI yet?)

It'd be too much cruft to do inline, and doesn't yet have a URI.

Once it has a URI, though, we should put it in there for sure...as
otherwise they're incomplete...unless the implementor provides a `Link`
header of course...

> Rant time about JSON-LD @context:
>
> -- we had several discussions in JSON-LD community about this.. in
> early draft you could inherit a @base from an external @context - but
> we changed our mind as that sounded quite confusing and dangerous, and
> raised lots of scary issues with multiple contexts.
>
> In one evil version you could do an external context that defined {
> "@base": "../" } (I actually wanted to do this! :))  and which would
> be resolved by the location of the document (e.g.
> file:///something/something.jsonld ) rather than from the external
> context's URI. But that is just too far away from how relative IRIs
> are resolved per document on the rest of the web - and hence the @base
> inheritance was removed, and a stronger requirement for absolute URIs
> in @base and @vocab was added.

Yeah. That would've been confusing. :)

I will double +1 my @base as a top-level key vote, though. ;)

Thanks for the thoughts, Stian!