Re: Annotation Bodies Telcon (Re: Agenda: Web Annotation Teleconference 15 July 2015)

Hi, Ray–

On 7/10/15 2:50 PM, Denenberg, Ray wrote:
> From: Doug Schepers
>> Regarding assumptions, for example, there seems to be an implicit assumption
>> that we need to prioritize adherence to the RDF model over performance or
>> specialized functionality;
>
> Doug - what would be the RDF model principles relevant to this issue?

I'm not the right person to answer that, I'm afraid. I'm have only
passing familiarity with RDF or the RDF tech stack.

Rob, Jacob and others have alluded to structural problems in having
multiple bodies, which seem to relate specifically to RDF. I'm not
familiar with these constraints, so it's been a struggle to understand
their reasoning; I suspect most other web developers (and potential
implementers) will have a perspective similar to mine.

Principles such as needing bodies and targets to be individually
addressable (which makes a certain sense, for pointing to them in an
"reply" annotation) and reusable (which makes less sense to me) seem to
be at the heart of the matter.

Other underlying things seem to be an issue as well, such as the
rationale described in the reply to Bill Hunt's email [1], which eluded me.

Maybe I'm just being dense, but there is clearly a layer of reasoning
that seems obvious to the RDF crowd that is currently beyond me; thus, I
don't know how to assess its importance on any given point. Having that
spelled out might help the discussion.

[1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-annotation/2015Jul/0017.html

Regards–
–Doug