RE: Motivation: Gerund or Infinitive

The basic problem is with the English language, which often uses the same word as a noun and a verb. Why don't we pick a language that doesn't do that? ;-) –Bill Kasdorf

From: Benjamin Young [mailto:bigbluehat@hypothes.is]
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 4:49 PM
To: Denenberg, Ray
Cc: Web Annotation
Subject: Re: Motivation: Gerund or Infinitive

Well... :)

It would always technically *be* a verb, but I'm not sure it'd be clear in this JSON.

```
{
  "motivatedBy": "comment"
}
```

Really, though, the "to comment" form could be made as a custom set of SKOS Concepts for using the infinitive form:
http://www.w3.org/TR/annotation-model/#extending-motivations

But I'd want to see that available only as an extension and not mixed into the `oa` namespace as that would cause yet more confusion, I'm afraid.

Anyway. :) Saying the same thing different ways, so I'll let others weigh in.

Laters,
Benjamin