RE: Motivations

+1 I think keeping "type" and "motivation" separate is essential.

From: Robert Sanderson [mailto:azaroth42@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, February 02, 2015 12:17 PM
To: public-annotation@w3.org
Cc: Web Annotation
Subject: Re: Motivations

As Jacob says, the reason for the gerund form was specifically to avoid the conflation of motivation with class or type.

The key points:
* SKOS Concepts give us more flexibility in inter-relating motivations than a class hierarchy, with closeMatch and so forth.  The expectation is that there will be many specific motivations, and they'll need to be reconciled appropriately.

* We wanted to avoid inadvertently inheriting features of classes across communities.  One community might want to subClass oa:Annotation to create a particular constrained type of tagging annotation that MUST have exactly one embedded body.  That is fine (of course) but with the inclusion of the motivation separately, another system can determine the appropriate rendering.

* There's still issues with nouns, though less so with verbs: the annotation isn't itself an identifier, I guess it could be an identification.  Is the annotation a link (for oa:linking?) or an edit?

I think the decision tree is:

* Is the objection to the use of skos:Concepts, rather than classes?  (if yes, we should discuss that)
* If not, is the objection to the definition of motivation for creating the annotation?   (if yes, we should discuss that too)
* If not, given that these are instances, is there significant improvement in understanding by renaming them? (if yes, please justify)

If not, I think that leaving them as is makes the most sense rather than a backwards incompatible change.

Rob