Re: [web-annotation] Dropping type from ... what?

I think the dctypes at least on the target can be important to
understand what kind of annotations we're talking about.. e.g. an
Image has quite a different kinds of selectors than a Text. The
classes are very broad, and can't reliably be used for mime-type
selection of rendering mechanism. But consider an annotation where the
target has since gone 404 (or is a protected resource) so we can't
check its actual mime type - then it can still be of importance to
understand the annotation body (say a textual comment) if it's about a
dctypes:MovingImage or a dctype:Text - e.g. the comment might say "Too
much violence".

But this assumes you can do it all black and white.. what is the type
of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOpUL_hqNlU ?  If you do it
literally by mime type, it's a text/html. By content it's a video. But
actually.. the target is not particulatly MovingImage as it is one of
those "music on youtube with still image" - so really semantically it
is a dctypes:Sound - "a resource primarily intended to be heard." --
or with a bit of faith - a (representation of) a
https://schema.org/MusicAlbum

So if I say that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOpUL_hqNlU "This is
great, my uncle use to sell this in the 80s" as a comment on this - I
don't mean he used to sell the HTML page or the Youtube video. But I
might be able to select a type that it's Sound or Music or something
like that, and then you would understand, possibly even if the youtube
video goes down (as they often do)

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, eScience Lab
School of Computer Science