Re: Data Model Assumptions

+1 to what Ivan and Raphaël have said.

I would add a further caution that flexibilty in object-property pairings
always comes at a high price in both interchange and interoperability.
These kinds of data models are always arbitrary and ad hoc (and I mean
arbitrary and ad hoc in the non-pejorative way). They're simply specialized
to the specific needs of particular domain-communities.

Rather than looking at the model and asking what is the minimum that the
Javascript developer community needs, perhaps it would be more constructive
to ask what can the Linked Data community live without. Because we're
trying to build a broadly general model, that will satisfy the needs of
multiple communities, it's necessary to identify the "lowest common
denominator," so to speak, among those communities. If we place one
community over another then things are likely to fall apart. The rub is,
because of the open world assumption, the LD community needs much more
structure than the Javascript developers. Linked Data / SemWeb developers
are not free to make the same kinds of assumptions about the data and the
users that other flavors of developer are.

This is essentially why we didn't model roles on the bodies to start with.
Linked Data folks have to pay a steep price in verbosity to represent that
kind of information in the model.

Regards,

Jacob

Jacob Jett
Research Assistant
Center for Informatics Research in Science and Scholarship
The Graduate School of Library and Information Science
501 E. Daniel Street, MC-493, Champaign, IL 61820-6211 USA
(217) 244-2164
jjett2@illinois.edu