Re: JSON-LD serialization and linked data support

If I can interject a few thoughts from the sidelines... I faced a
similar decision with regards to Activity Streams 2.0 -- only I came
at it from the opposite point of view. That is, we had a pure JSON
syntax to start and moved to a Vocabulary model with a JSON-LD syntax.
One of the key goals of this move, however, has been to make sure that
developers who wish to ignore the JSON-LD processing model can do so
if they wish -- albeit at a cost of some features.

The short version of the story is that Activity Streams 2.0 builds on
JSON-LD but requires only a subset of what JSON-LD provides. For
instance, the data format *requires* JSON-LD compact form
serialization, it requires use of a normative JSON-LD @context
definition that ensures consistent serialization, it strongly
recommends that certain JSON-LD features are avoided, and -- perhaps
most importantly -- does not require that developers implement the
full RDF world view in order to make sense of the data.

A similar approach can be applied here. By defining a normative
JSON-LD @context and requiring compact serialization using that
@context, and by limiting the JSON-LD specific features you depend on,
you can place practical limits on those various JSON-LD idiosyncrasies
that everyone loves to hate.

- James