RE: [model] Clarifying annotation architecture

Rob, Fredrick, Ivan, et al.-

I remain unconvinced that assigning a motivation or role to an Embedded Textual Body not being assigned a URI in the Annotation is bad RDF.

In my mind, if you don't give an Embedded Textual Body a URI (i.e., if you let it default to a blank node) then that Embedded Textual Body will not be reused outside the current Annotation, and therefore the role assigned to Embedded Textual Body in the context of the current annotation is the only role which this particular instance of the string will ever have. RDF inferencing is done on URIs, not on string values. Obviously it is a different matter if you are using a resource of any type identified with a de-referenceable URI.

But I may be wrong. Discussing these issues about multiple bodies / multiple annotations in the abstract is getting to be challenging. In an effort to better understand various options and their pros and cons, I needed to work through a few more complete concrete examples (see below, if interested, options discussed in no particular order). Others may have additional / better illustrations, but the question is are we are reaching consensus? If not, I wonder if we should take Doug's earlier suggestion from 10 July [1] to mount a wiki page (if this has been done, I couldn't find it) to which we can all contribute and then with this prep dedicate a call or two to this topic which touches on several key issues for us.

Or is everyone else satisfied that we are near consensus and ready to close this issue out on our next call?

[1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-annotation/2015Jul/0115.html

Concrete examples – incomplete first draft:

Here's my first draft attempt at concrete illustrations (leaving out annotation provenance for the moment). There are almost certainly errors in these examples, and I'm sure I've left many more examples out. I stuck with json except for graph 1 where I also provide Turtle. Rather than try to correct and augment these examples in this email thread, the way to go *if there's enough interest* is to create a wiki page or the like where people can argue the details, correct mistakes and augment with additional examples. Would this be worthwhile to do?

Given an annotation such as this containing multiple bodies:

Graph 1: in JSON (and JSON-LD if you add our context)

{

  "@id": "http://example.org/Anno1",

  "@type": "oa:Annotation",

  "body": [

            "This sentence is an example of an amphibology and needs to be changed.",

            "Piloting an airplane can be a dangerous thing to do."

  ],

  "target": {

        "@id": "http://example.org/Anno1#sptarget1",

                        "@type": "oa:SpecificResource",

                        "source": "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syntactic_ambiguity",

                        "selector": {

                                    "@type": "oa:TextQuoteSelector",

                                    "exact": "Flying planes can be dangerous.",

                                    "prefix": "mountain?",

                                    "suffix": "Either th"

                        }

  }

}

Graph 1B: same in Turtle, something like this (I will stay with JSON the rest of the way):

@prefix oa: <http://www.w3.org/ns/oa#> .

<http://example.org/Anno1>

  a <http://www.w3.org/ns/oa#Annotation> ;

  oa:hasBody "Piloting an airplane can be a dangerous thing to do.", "This sentence is an example of an amphibology and needs to be changed." ;

  oa:hasTarget <http://example.org/Anno1#sptarget1> .

<http://example.org/Anno1#sptarget1>

  a oa:SpecificResource ;

  oa:hasSource <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syntactic_ambiguity> ;

  oa:hasSelector [

    a oa:TextQuoteSelector ;

    oa:suffix "Either th" ;

    oa:prefix "mountain?" ;

    oa:exact "Flying planes can be dangerous."

  ] .

This is a reasonably simple starting point. As has been discussed the problem is that this graph does not differentiate between the 2 bodies, each of which clearly (to a human) has a different role in the annotation. (By the way, I admit to being unsure about the use of #sptarget1, especially given our reliance in the protocol document on LDP, but this, I think, is a different conversation, not relevant to the current concern. For the LDP system I was using to test, it was much easier to do it this way.)

***Option 1 - multiple annotations***

Recreate as 2 distinct annotations, each with its own motivation; reuse the specificResource target.

Graph 2A:

{

  "@id": "http://example.org/Anno2A",

  "@type": "oa:Annotation",

  "motivation": "oa:commenting",

        "@id": "http://example.org/Anno2A#sptarget1",

                        "@type": "oa:SpecificResource",

                        "source": "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syntactic_ambiguity",

                        "selector": {

                                    "@type": "oa:TextQuoteSelector",

                                    "exact": "Flying planes can be dangerous.",

                                    "prefix": "mountain?",

                                    "suffix": "Either th"

                        }

  }

}

Graph 2B:

{

  "@id": "http://example.org/Anno2B",

  "@type": "oa:Annotation",

  "motivation": "oa:editing",

  "body": "Piloting an airplane can be a dangerous thing to do.",

  "target": {

        "@id": "http://example.org/Anno2A#sptarget1",

                        "@type": "oa:SpecificResource"

  }

}

The biggest drawback here is that I now have 2 separate annotations that were really created together by the agent. We've had discussions about Annotation Sets, and though not accommodated by our current model or protocol drafts, implementers are using Annotation Sets in practice.  LDP patterns offer a way to group or cluster annotations, albeit not all that efficiently and requiring knowledge of Direct Containers (or Indirect Containers), an LDP feature that not everyone is choosing to implement. So for example, properly created, you could have this:

Graph 3A: An Annotation Set (as defined in some ontology which also defines the annotations predicate)

{

  "@id": "http://example.org/rest/AnnoSet210",

  "@type": "omy:AnnoSet",

  "title": "A Set of Edit Annotations.",

  "annotations": [

        {

          "@id": "http://example.org/rest/AnnoSet210/AC211/Anno2A"

        },

        {

          "@id": "http://example.org/rest/AnnoSet210/AC211/Anno2B"

        }

  ],

  "contains": {

        "@id": "http://example.org/rest/AnnoSet210/AC211"

  }

}

Graph 3B: one annotation in the Set

{

        "@id": "http://example.org/rest/AnnoSet210/AC211/Anno2A#sptarget1",

                        "@type": "oa:SpecificResource",

                        "source": "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syntactic_ambiguity",

                        "selector": {

                                    "@type": "oa:TextQuoteSelector",

                                    "exact": "Flying planes can be dangerous.",

                                    "prefix": "mountain?",

                                    "suffix": "Either th"

                        }

  }

}

Graph 3C: the other annotation in the Set

{

  "@id": "http://example.org/rest/AnnoSet210/AC211/Anno2B",

  "@type": "oa:Annotation",

  "motivation": "oa:editing",

  "body": "Piloting an airplane can be a dangerous thing to do.",

  "target": {

        "@id": "http://example.org/rest/AnnoSet210/AC211/Anno2A#sptarget1",

                        "@type": "oa:SpecificResource"

  }

}

Each annotation (previously each body) can now be referenced on its own, which is good for many use cases. One glaring limitation -- LDP does not currently provide a way (that I know of) to post or get all of 3A, 3B, and 3C in a single HTTP request. Possibly we could define a best practice. There is also a 4th resource (the LDP Direct Container) involved which is not shown. This may be too much overhead. Still the annotation set concept is useful and is being used. There are other (non-LDP) ways to do Annotation Sets. Do we want to make any accommodation for Annotation Sets (e.g., add a class and predicate to our data model context)? If we did, this option might become more attractive. Note, that in an editing scenario, subsequent annotations, e.g., feedback from the author on the proposed edit, can be added to the set.

***Option 2 - body-level motivations***

Graph 1 can be rewritten with Embedded Textual Bodies or with SpecificResource Bodies, allowing implementers to express additional properties of the bodies, such as role or motivatedBy (illustrated below). Graph 4 below, using Embedded Textual Bodies, is inconsistent with the argument you have made that to express the role of a body you must always have a Specific Resource (see above).

Graph 4: Embedded Textual Bodies, @type oa:EmbeddedContent required (MUST), @type oa:SpecificResource, format & language encouraged (SHOULD):

{

  "@id": "http://example.org/Anno1",

  "@type": "oa:Annotation",

  "body": [

            {"@type": "oa:EmbeddedContent",

            "role": "oa:commenting",

            "value": "This sentence is an example of an amphibology and needs to be changed.",

            "format": "text/plain",

            "language": "en"

            },

            {"@type": "oa:EmbeddedContent",

            "role": "oa:editing",

            "value": "Piloting an airplane can be a dangerous thing to do.",

            "format": "text/plain",

            "language": "en"

            }

  ],

  "target": {

        "@id": "http://example.org/Anno1#sptarget1",

                        "@type": "oa:SpecificResource",

                        "source": "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syntactic_ambiguity",

                        "selector": {

                                    "@type": "oa:TextQuoteSelector",

                                    "exact": "Flying planes can be dangerous.",

                                    "prefix": "mountain?",

                                    "suffix": "Either th"

                        }

  }

}

Graph 5: SpecificResource Bodies

{

  "@id": "http://example.org/Anno1",

  "@type": "oa:Annotation",

  "body": [

                        {

                        "@type": "oa:SpecificResource",

                        "role": "oa:commenting",

                        "source": {

                                    "@type": "oa:EmbeddedContent",

[...]

***Option 3 - specializations of the hasBody predicate***

This is probably the least extensible approach and creates problems for those not using RDF inferencing (which I would assume most implementers are not wanting to do), but it is also a rather straightforward approach. Assumes we add appropriate sub-properties of hasBody to our data model and context document. Your critique and rationale for not wanting to take this approach is here [2].

[2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-annotation/2015Jul/0019.html

Graph 6

{

  "@id": "http://example.org/Anno1",

  "@type": "oa:Annotation",

  "commentBody": "This sentence is an example of an amphibology and needs to be changed.",

  "editBody": "Piloting an airplane can be a dangerous thing to do.",

  "target": {

        "@id": "http://example.org/Anno1#sptarget1",

                        "@type": "oa:SpecificResource",

                        "source": "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syntactic_ambiguity",

                        "selector": {

                                    "@type": "oa:TextQuoteSelector",

                                    "exact": "Flying planes can be dangerous.",

                                    "prefix": "mountain?",

                                    "suffix": "Either th"

                        }

  }

}

There are other ideas that have been floated as well, but this is enough to start a wiki page for this discussion if warranted.

-Tim Cole