Re: [web-annotation] Require dct:Text class for interpretation of literal bodies

> On 27 Apr 2015, at 16:18 , Jacob Jett <jjett2@illinois.edu> wrote:
>
> This presents a slippery slope. Commenting isn't the only role the text literal may play. What happens if we have to expand this to encompass things like explanation, description, etc. Haven't we just made motivation a completely obsolete concept within the model?
>
> Better would be if we could do away with the string literal bodies.

This came up several time in this thread… But I still believe literal bodies are important.

It is of course true that if an annotation is created by some process/program/plugin, then having an object for the literal body is not a big deal. However, there are genuine use cases when annotation is done by humans manually. The original use case for this came from the CSV on the Web Working Group: for CSV files (but, I would expect, for many different data files published on the Web) metadata is added by the human publisher of the data as an adjunct to the raw data itself. Such metadata should also provide hooks for annotations (the CSV Metadata, which is typically in JSON, provides a specific "notes" property for that purpose) and using the Annotation Model has great advantages. But if humans have to edit/provide this, I believe the ability to add a string literal body is essential. (If we do not provide this we can bet that people will do it anyway:-)

Ivan