Re: Selectors as URIs?

We discussed fragments in the community group at length.

The concerns about the approach are documented here:
    http://www.w3.org/TR/annotation-model/#fragment-uris

These boil down to the fact that as you get more sophisticated selections
the URI becomes unbearably long.
Consider serializing an entire SVG document into the URI to specify a non
rectangular area. Or selecting the previous and following 1024 Gs Cs As and
Ts to select a range of text in a genetic sequence.

My personal position is that selectors should not be turned into fragments,
because (especially) that would break the rules of fragment identifiers as
laid out in RFC 3986:

The semantics of a fragment identifier are defined by the set of
representations that might result from a retrieval action on the
primary resource.

As further discussed by JeniT here:
    http://www.w3.org/TR/fragid-best-practices/

Basically, unless there's a new text/HTML RFC that allows us to do it, we
can't arbitrarily shove the description of the segment into its identity.

Rob