Re: Thoughts on WAWG F2F + I Annotate next spring

Hi Tim, all,

As co-chair, this clearly *is* a W3C group with a wide variety of
participants from around the globe. We do not want to disadvantage anyone
in terms of travel or cost, but at the same time want to take advantage of
the generosity of Sloan to contribute financially to a face to face meeting
and conference, and the generosity of Hypothes.is folk in helping to
organize it for us.

As Dan has said, and as we discussed on the call yesterday, nothing is yet
set in stone.  There is the possibility to have it in a different location
... *IF* there is logistic support from local organizers.  It would
completely unreasonable to expect Dan and colleagues to arrange a meeting
for us in a different city or on different continent without assistance.
Paolo has offered to help in that regard to have the meeting hosted in
Boston instead of San Francisco, for which I am very grateful.  Additional
support has also been offered from the Library and HarvardX, via another
ongoing Harvard/Stanford collaboration. Given previous annotation events
hosted at Harvard, we can be pretty sure that this one will also be
successful.

However, if there are other offers of concrete assistance to facilitate the
local organization of meeting/conference space, meals, hotels and so forth
then by all means, the more options the better.  Offers of financial
contribution would also be very welcome, I'm certain.   We would need to
have those offers in hand pretty quickly though, as successful conferences
take a lot of up front time and work.

The key to the success of the working group is active participation and
engagement.  If the choice is between having a face to face to accelerate
that process on the backs of willing volunteers, or not having a meeting
simply because the same people are volunteering their effort again, then we
will always take up the offers.  The alternative is obvious: make it so
it's not always the same people volunteering by also contributing :)

Rob

Technology Collaboration Facilitator