Re: stratml vs cl

Dave

Is a formal KR really needed?  There is no evidence that biological systems
> use formal KR as opposed to other forms of computation.

This is an important question. It would probably require an essay, for
which I do not have time.
I ll try to be very brief
- what doe we mean by formal?  (different levels of formalization?)
- I think what we need is enough formality to support
a) logic /reasoning
b)robustness/repeatability/reliability consistency
c) verifiability/proof that a) is correct to some extent

I gave a talk once that was aiming to say natural language is sufficiently
formal
to enable abc, but not sure I fully managed to put my point across as
crisply as i would have liked
workshop page
http://www.cs.stir.ac.uk/events/network-analysis/
My slides
http://www.cs.stir.ac.uk/events/network-analysis/slides/dimaio-analysis.pdf

(I am indebted to Sowa for explaining this at length on ontolog forum)

Regarding biological systems, we really dont know enough, I d say and
biological systems
may use different forms of communication than language as we know it
until we evolve to communicate without language, some degree of
formalization may be necessary/beneficial

The crux for me is consistency. ability to express intent and to follow
through and verify it ETC
for this we normally require some degree of formalization. but if you can
find a way Dave to achieve logical consistency without formalization I d be
very interested
:-)

pdm