Re: U.S. Federal Data Strategy Action Plan

Paola, yes, indeed, our focus should be on global goals. However,
standards and good practices need not be reinvented by international
bureaucracies if they have already been specified by someone else -- not
just nationally recognized SDOs but by anyone, anywhere on earth.

It seems to me that publishing public information in open, standard,
machine-readable formats having the attributes specified in ISO 15489-1
is such a good practice.  It would be nice to think IAC might be willing
and able to foster adoption of that good practice by its stakeholders.
That is the prospect that prompts my interest in participating in a
presentation at their conference.

BTW, here in the U.S. official policy since at least 1998 has directed
agencies to consider using internationally adopted voluntary consensus
standards.  Here are the applicable sections of OMB Circular A-119