Re: Automated Decision Systems, NYC report

 From my perspective, here are the key passages from the article:

    They even had model cards, which provide performance data, an
    explanation of intended use, and details on training and evaluation
    data, for dozens of different systems, all of which they kept to
    themselves. This is the sad reality of city politics. The City
    Council passed the task force into law to hold the administration
    accountable for its secretive use of algorithms, but that was the
    last thing the administration wanted.

The same has seemed to be true with respect to section 10
<https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/open-machine-readable-government-owen-ambur/>
of the GPRA Modernization Act at the U.S. federal level. Congress passed
the law and President Obama signed it in January 2011 but nobody
apparently really cared to know how well or poorly agencies are actually
accomplishing their objectives.  I wouldn't necessarily suggest that we
start rioting about it but a bit of righteous indignation -- accompanied
by news media coverage and questioning of elected officials -- might be
in order.

On the other hand, since OMB has indicated its intention to begin
piloting implementation
<http://stratml.us/carmel/iso/A11-240wStyle.xml#_aada4d70-a90a-11e9-a082-d69e4d1a686a>
of that provision of law with a few agencies this year, there is cause
for hope.  Indeed, hope springs eternal but we should do more than
merely hope public officials start living up to their responsibilities.
If they fail to do so honestly and forthrightly themselves, let's hold
them accountable by reporting their performance for them -- in an open,
standard, machine-readable format so that AI be applied to help us be
less ignorant about our own civic responsibilities.  More inherently
biased narrative reporting is not what is required. More actual
performance data is.

See http://aboutthem.info/ &
http://stratml.us/carmel/iso/UC4SwStyle.xml#_654e441c-0969-11e6-97e7-059645c7ae33

Owen