RE: Opening the AI Black Box

The U.S. House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform Subcommittee on Information Technology has issued a report entitled "Rise of the Machines: Artificial Intelligence and its Growing Impact on U.S. Policy."

One of the report's conclusions is that "a widely agreed upon standard for measuring the safety and security of AI products and applications should precede any new regulations."  <https://oversight.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/AI-White-Paper-.pdf> https://oversight.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/AI-White-Paper-.pdf

Chairman Hurd emphasized the need for a national strategy and both he and ranking minority member Kelly referenced the importance of open data.  Two logical conclusions that might be drawn are:

1) the AI strategy itself should be published in an open, standard, machine-readable format like Strategy Markup Language (StratML) Part 1 (ISO 17469-1) and

2) AI product and application safety and security metrics should be reported in a format like StratML Part 2, Performance Plans and Reports.

https://fcw.com/articles/2018/09/25/hurd-kelly-ai-machines.aspx

Owen Ambur

Chair,  <http://stratml.us/> StratML Working Group

Co-Chair Emeritus,  <http://xml.govwebs.net/> xml.gov CoP