Re: Fwd:

Hi Paola,

The KM system Peter Clark worked on is quite nice. The AURA system used
only a fraction of features of KM. The features of KM that are used in
AURA were formalized to some degree of coverage in this paper:
http://www.ai.sri.com/pubs/files/1958.pdf.   There are several other
papers related to KRR of AURA that we wrote when Project Halo ended.

We are still trying to see if we can find enough adoption of an end-user
app that we had built based on AURA. That effort is still active. See
http://web.stanford.edu/~vinayc/intelligent-life/ for its current status.

A serious problem with KM was its destructive implementation: when it
derived new inferences, it overwrote user-entered information. This
engineering flaw made KM un-viable.

As you will see from the first paper cited above, AURA uses a language
that is equivalent to existential rules. Substantial theory exists
formalizing such rules. E.g, see the following works
http://www.lirmm.fr/~mugnier/graphik/kiabora/downloads/framework_en.pdf
and https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0004370211000397

With some luck, we will rebuild AURA using this new theory and more
recent results on existential rules.  We are also contemplating a
successor of KM that has potential new trajectories that were not
considered in AURA.

Regarding your question about what other KR languages are being used,
here is some additional information:

At Stanford, Michael Genesereth has developed a system called Epilog
that he uses in several of his courses. Epilog is safe-stratified
Datalog.  You can find his language described at:
http://worksheets.stanford.edu/documentation/reference.php

Bob Kowalski has a system called LPS that uses a version of production
of system for modeling contracts. For example, see: http://lps.doc.ic.ac.uk/

In addition, you may want to reach out to Sheila McIlraith  and Michael
Kifer.  They both have active interest in this topic.

I am happy to collaborate with you on this further.

Thanks,

Vinay