Re: Preparing for the W3C Permissions and User Consent Workshop (was: Re: Themes for W3C Permissions and User Consent Workshop)

Colleagues,

I look forward to seeing you on Wednesday.

Participation:

We're expecting participants from a variety of backgrounds, some of whom
may be less confident speaking up in a forum such as this, particularly
when we have not allocated specific time slices for each person.  Please
be mindful of those differences and create opportunities for everyone to
contribute.  Thoughtful pauses in our discussion may be particularly
helpful.

W3C has an IRC bot that is helpful for maintaining speaking queues.
(Just type "q+" in the IRC channel to add yourself to the queue.)  This
could be useful both for remote participants and for those in the room.

Take-aways:

I propose that we capture the big take-aways from the workshop as issues
in github.  To that end, I encourage you to create a github account if
you don't have one already.  There is an issue template linked from:
https://github.com/w3c/permissions-ws-2018/blob/master/logistics.md

Scribing:

I would like TWO volunteers for each session:
-- One taking detailed notes in IRC in the usual W3C style.
-- One to capture the big take-aways (in github).

I encourage you to volunteer as scribe for a session that you are not
expecting to be very actively involved in.  More details are in:
https://github.com/w3c/permissions-ws-2018/blob/master/logistics.md

Remote participation:

Details have not been sorted; we might send out a conference bridge as
late as Wednesday morning.  Watch this list for details.  As above, I
encourage the use of the IRC-bot-facilitated queuing functionality.

Logistics:

We will be meeting in Qualcomm building S, room S210 starting at 9am on
Wednesday.  A map is now linked from the travel logistics page:
https://www.w3.org/Privacy/permissions-ws-2018/travel.html

I tentatively plan for an informal dinner outing on Tuesday evening,
leaving from the Hyatt House at 7pm sharp - if you're in San Diego
early, you're welcome to join.  I'll send details to this list tomorrow
afternoon.

Structure of the workshop:

In addition to what I wrote in the note below, I'd like to explain a
little more of my thinking behind the 40-minute time slices.  It is not
my intention to cut topics needlessly short.  Instead, I want 1) to
provide painless opportunities to move on from discussions that keep
circling with little progress and 2) to provide some breaks, recognizing
that it can be difficult to maintain prolonged focus.  Additionally, I
tend to burn out after scribing for about 40 minutes, so hopefully
rotating scribes on such a schedule will be helpful.  I'm perfectly
content to resume a fruitful discussion in some of the unallocated times.

Again, I look forward to seeing everyone on Wednesday!

-- Sam