From: Smith Michael [mailto:smith@iso.org]
Sent: jeudi, 20. juin 2002 18:36
To: Androuchko Vladimir
Cc: Favre Christian; Brannon Keith; jhouldsworth; Zhao Houlin
Subject: Fw: PSO

Dear Mr Androuchko,

Thank you once again for the opportunity to attend the PSO General Assembly. It was of great interest to learn of the recent activities of the PSO members as well as of the deliberations concerning the reform of ICANN.

I noted that there seems to be some uncertainty as to whether the PSO will be continued as a result of the ICANN reform. Nevertheless, I can confirm that ISO remains interested in participating either in the PSO if it is indeed to continue, or in any other structure that might be established to succeed it. ISO's application for membership of the PSO is motivated by the fact that we have many relevant activities and our belief that our participation would add value to the organization.

I would therefore take this opportunity to respond to the open question attached to ISO's application for membership, namely how participation in ISO work is organized.

Firstly, let me recall that ISO is a federation of national standards bodies (There are currently ISO members in 143 countries.). It is the responsibility of ISO's national members to ensure that national positions are established taking account of all interests at the national level. In order to accomplish this, ISO members establish national mirror committees corresponding to the ISO committee in question and such mirror committees are populated by experts from industry, government, academia etc.

These national committees are responsible for nominating experts to serve on ISO working groups (the experts serve in an individual capacity and not as representatives of the ISO member),  as well as selecting the delegates to attend ISO committee meetings and deciding on the national poisitions to be represented by those delegates. ISO's formal standards work, through its technical committee structures, therefore, is based on the establishment of national consensus positions which are then negotiated in the ISO forum to establish an international consensus.

As you will appreciate, ISO's scope covers a vast range of subjects, but to give some idea of the extent of participation in ISO work, it is estimated that each year some 35 000 experts participate directly in ISO work and taking into account the national mirror committees there are over 200 000 experts
contributing to ISO work.

One can add to this figure that some 550 other international and regional organizations contribute to ISO work via liaison mechanisms. Depending on the type of liaison chosen such organizations have the right to participate in ISO committee work and also to nominate experts to serve on ISO working groups.

As noted above, this description concerns the formal ISO standardization system through its technical committee structures and it allows ISO to comply with annex 3 of the WTO/TBT agreement.

However, in recognition of the fact that some industries seem no longer to need in all cases fully developed consensus international standards, ISO has introduced open workshops as a means for market players and other interest groups to develop documents which meet their needs. Participation in such workshops is open to anyone who wishes to attend and participants do not need to seek accreditation from ISO's national members in such cases. The output of such workshops is published in the form of International Workshop Agreements (IWAs).

Of more immediate concern, the ISO/IEC joint technical committee for information technology standardization (JTC 1) has also decided to introduce the workshop mechanism as part of its working procedures and its subcommittees are currently reviewing their work programmes to identify items which should continue to be developed through the committee structures and processes and those that would be more suitable for development in workshops.

I hope the above provides the necessary clarification as to how a company or individual would be able to participate in ISO activities.

With kind regards,

Mike Smith
Drector, Standards Department