Re: ISO application for SDO membership of the PSO - DRAFT of part of the response

Hi,

The fragment posted was the IETF position conveyed to the PSO-PC, that I
read out verbatim in the teleconference. As you may note, it refers in the
second paragraph to the "IETF members of the PSO".

Personally, I'm not unduly worried whether the IETF response is used in the
PSO-PC response to ISO or not, but I am anxious to ensure that any message
conveys two major points that were part of the discussion in the meeting:

1 - The message conveys no impression that the application will ultimately
be acceptable to the PSO-PC, nor that it will be unacceptable. Neutral
wording should be used that ensures that me implicit message of acceptance
be conveyed to ISO. That is, we have reached no outcome, nor any sense of
what that outcome may be at this stage, and the message should convey that
strict neutrality of position.

(As an example, in the draft below I find "welcomes your application" to be
potentially misinterpreted, and I would prefer to see "acknowledges receipt
of your application" as a more neutral message)

2 - The message accurately indicates that there are many potential outcomes
of the ICANN reform process, and within this spectrum of outcomes there is
the potential that the PSO ceases to exist, or that its new incarnation is
along very different lines to that in operation today. Furthermore, the
message should note that the application will be considered only when ICANN
itself has reached a more stable view of its own structure, and within this
structure the PSO and the defining instrument (the MoU) exist in a form
largely identical to that used today.

If this more detailed message can be folded into the response then I've no
particular opinion on the desireable strength or softness of the message.
My interest is to ensure that the message does not convey any hints of
false impressions, and that it accurately indicates the circumstances under
which the application will be considered in the future.

regards,

   Geoff