News from the New TLDs Task Force

Dear PSP PC colleagues,

I have been in contact with Mr Roberto Laorden who is a member of the ICANN
New TLDs Task Force (one of the 2 nominated by us) and he has sent me a
statement drafted by the group for which the opinion of the PSO is
required.

I guess that it will be "officially" submitted to us by Stuart Lynn, but if
you want to start looking at it, before our next teleconference, please
find enclosed the text I have got from Mr Laorden:

  "The effect on DNS performance of adding new TLDs is still unknown.
  Conventional wisdom seems to be that although there are potential future
  risks in adding significant numbers of new TLDs, there may well be little
  or no risk   Within the context of the DNS as used today, the scaling
  property of the system makes extensive use of cached information to avoid
  continual repetition of queries being directed towards higher levels of
  the DNS hierarchy. On the assumption that caching continues to be used
  extensively within existing and new TLD's, then the assertion regarding
  levels of risk associated with tens of hundreds of TLD's is, from a
  technical perspective, a relatively conservative assertion. On the other
  hand, there may be intended applications associated with new TLDs where
  caching of any information within the hierarchy of the new TLD may be
  counter to the intended behavior of the application. In such a situation
  the non-cacheable TLD may exert significant load pressures on the DNS
  system that may, in turn, affect the DNS's scaling properties. Given this
  possibility of non-cacheable name domains, this assertion regarding
  levels of risk is not highly conservative in nature and encompasses a
  reasonable estimate of bound of the scaling properties of the TLD domain.
   in adding tens or even hundreds of relatively small (in terms of numbers
  of domain names) provided they are not too "flat" in the shape of their
  hierarchy ? insofar as the distributed architecture of the DNS presumes a
  hierarchical namespace for effective performance. (Relatively large
  numbers of domain names at the second level ? as, for example, occurs
  with .com ? may jeopardize performance regardless of how few or how many
  top level domains have been authorized.) The PSO and the IETF should be
  asked for their views on whether this conventional wisdom is
  substantially correct."

I suggest to add another point to the agenda of the teleconference in 7th December:

- Analisys of NTLD Task Force statement

Kind regards,
Azucena
Azucena Hernandez