ROOT SERVER SYSTEM

Dear colleagues,

As was agreed at an earlier PC teleconference we passed the text developed by ETSI to ITU-T Study Group 2 for comment and we subsequently circulated their reply to you. The proposal below incorporates this comment and is my proposal for the PSO-PC agreed view on this matter.

"The Internet DNS currently operates using a Single Authoritative Root
Server System. Although, it would be technically possible to devise and
standardize a fully compliant alternative multiple root server system, there
appears to be no technical reason for changing from the present working
system, as this would require the development of a new set of protocols
for use by the DNS.
Additional issues such as administrative and national sovereignty
considerations would also be a factor if a multiple root server system
were to be considered but comment on such issues is outside the scope of
the PSO."

It will be very difficult for the ITU-T to agree any statement that goes beyond this.

Brian.