FW: Nominees to New TLD Evaluation Process Planning Task Force

   -----Original Message-----
From: M. Stuart Lynn [mailto:lynn@icann.org]
Sent: 14 June 2001 02:17
To: livia.rosu@etsi.fr
Subject: Nominees to New TLD Evaluation Process Planning Task Force

Dear Livia:

As you may recall, in Stockholm the Board passed a resolution (appended)
directing me to form and chair a "New TLD Evaluation Process Planning Task
Force"). The membership of the Task Force is to be appointed by me with the
advice of various individuals, councils, and committees -- including the
PSO. I am writing to you to enlist your help in seeking PSO advice.

The process I am following  is to request the advisors to provide a list of
nominees from which I would select a subset. I am reserving this right to
select to ensure balance and geographic diversity across the Task Force.

I would appreciate it, therefore, if the PSO could nominate 2 individuals
who would be willing to serve on the Task Force -- and who would not be put
out if one of them were not selected! I am sure I will include at least one
of the two nominees.

Since we are on a short fuse, I would appreciate PSO input within a couple
of weeks.

Thanks your help.

Stuart

Whereas, in resolution 01.60, the Board directed "the President to prepare
and present to the Board at its Stockholm meeting in June 2001 a proposal to
form a committee to recommend processes for monitoring the implementation of
the new TLDs and evaluating the new TLD program, including any ongoing
adjustments of agreements with operators or sponsors of new TLDs;"

Whereas, the President has recommended to the Board the formation of a New
TLD Evaluation Process Planning Task Force chaired by the President and
consisting of members selected with the advice of the Names and Protocol
Councils and the Chairs of the IETF, IAB, and ICANN DNS Root Server System
Advisory Committee;

Resolved [01.74], the Board directs the President to form and chair a New
TLD Evaluation Process Planning Task Force, for the purpose of recommending
to the Board and the broader Internet community, by means of a report to be
discussed at ICANN's Montevideo meeting in September 2001:

(a) a plan for monitoring the introduction of new TLDs and for evaluating
their performance and their impact on the performance of the DNS. This
assessment should focus in technical, business, and legal perspectives and
rely on data gathered as part of the contractual arrangements with the new
TLDs as well as other data inputs that can be readily secured; and

(b) a schedule on which a plan should be executed.

--

Stuart Lynn

--