[Pso-discuss] Looking for a layman example on what PSO does.

Dear PSO,

I am trying to write a document on what ICANN and related SO are and do.

I am writing for layman reader who is very interested in Internet and could
be interested to join the ICANN's at large membership.

Due to lack of technical knowledge, I am not sure to understand what
'assignment of parameters for Internet protocols' really means. (I
understand that that is PSO main business, isn't it?)

Any 'easy to understand'  explanation is very welcome. In particular, I
would appreciate a couple of simple examples of the kind: the protocol
..... includes the parameters ....., and they are usually fixed in such and
such way as .........

I have given a look at RFC 1340 : ASSIGNED NUMBERS, but I couldn't make
sense of it.

I really appreciate any advise on this matter.
Thanks Regards

mario chiari

(from Parma, Italy)