Re: lean PNG viewer for Linux?

From: Thomas Mueller <tomtom.mueller@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:29:52 +0700
To: "png-group lists.w3.org" <png-group@w3.org>

>>> Does anyone know a really lean PNG viewer, which does not allocate
>>> memory for the whole file if it doesn't fit on the screen but only
>>> for the visible parts and then reloads as you pan?

> This is not typically done, because loading the entire bitmap into memory
> is *much* easier programmatically than the panning you describe.  If
> you're not looking at the image at 100% zoom, it is possible to desample
> the image while it's being loaded.  This can have its own problems.

>>> I need to view a 50MB PNG file

> ??!  What are the dimensions (in pixels) of this thing?  Where did you
> get a file this size?

49749 x 25290, 8-bit colormap, non-interlaced

I made it (it is a large map cobbled together out of smaller parts)

>> I don't know if it will fit your requirements or not, but I use "xv"
>> for pretty much all my image viewing needs.

xv does in fact seem to display it, though I cannot zoom to '100%' mode
with it :-(

> It will work better than kview or display, but a 50M PNG is still
> extremely huge.

I have all the swap I need. I don not need speed, just to be able to
view and pan it to get at the parts I want.

--- GoldED/386 2.42.G0614+
 * Origin: Everything goes the bach runter ...
 * http://www.keyintelligence.net