Re: IP Ports vs. Negotiation

> Doesn't SSL/TLS over HTTP (aka HTTPS) set a precedent by using port 443
> instead of 80? Shouldn't this issue be resolved by now?

Yes it does,  but it's not so bad.

  1. HTTP *has* to be as lightweight as possible.  If you used a trigger
     like I just described you'd add another round trip at least.

  2. The core part of the HTTP request comes on the first command from the
     client to the server (the "GET" or "POST" or "PUT" etc.) so there's
     not that much room to squeeze a trigger in.

For a critical,  fast,  lightweight protocol like HTTP even the purists
can probably make an exception ;-)

--
Mark Shuttleworth
Thawte Consulting