Re: TWO WEEK LAST CALL: Regularizing Port Numbers for SSL.

Win,

Win Treese wrote:

> I think that we have a practical problem to solve in
> the short term. Even if we agreed that the "right thing"
> was to multiplex applications over a TLS channel, or
> that the "right thing" was to let applications negotiate
> their own use of TLS, it would take a while to get the
> necessary specs on the standards track.
>
> Chris's proposal lets a number of projects proceed,
> so I think we should go ahead with it. I encourage
> continued thinking and proposals to solve the broader
> problem, but I think they go beyond the charter of
> this working group now.

  I am not sure that I agree in total.  But as I am probaly
in a minority possition here.  I suppose the point is Moot.
It jsut seems to me that additional ports are just not
necessary and a bad idea long term.  I understand the
time element for some projects.  I just feel that it is a bad
trade off.  Sets a bad precident.

> Win Treese

Regards,
--
Jeffrey A. Williams
DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java Development Eng.