Re: NEW DRAFT: Regularizing Port Numbers for SSL.

On Fri, 7 Feb 1997, Christopher Allen wrote:

> I believe that this new draft addresses the concerns brought up on the
> SSL-Talk and IETF-TLS lists, yet still allows us to move forward for those
> who need to interoperate now.

(much deleted...)

> 	https       443/tcp	https
> 	ssmtp       465/tcp	ssmtp
> 	snews       563/tcp	snews
> 	ssl-ldap    636/tcp	ssl-ldap
> 	spop3       995/tcp	SSL based POP3
>
> As the above registrations are inconsistant, and most don't even mention
> SSL or TLS, we would like to get these port assignments and names
> regularized in the listing as follows:

That's kind of funny. spop3 and ssl-ldap both mention ssl :-)

> 	https       443/tcp	http protocol over TLS/SSL
> 	smtps       465/tcp	smtp protocol over TLS/SSL (was ssmtp)
> 	nntps       563/tcp	nntp protocol over TLS/SSL (was snntp)
> 	ldaps       636/tcp	ldap protocol over TLS/SSL (was sldap)
> 	pop3s       995/tcp	pop3 protocol over TLS/SSL (was spop3)

Sorry for being pessimistic, please don't take this negatively, I
just have some questions, being an implementor and one who has
actually registered one of the above ports.

I guess the real question is, does this will this "obsolete" any current
products that do not do TLS on the above ports?

Is "TLS" available from any vendor, aside from the author of this draft?

What is the status of the TLS track? Are we commiting to a moving to
TLS for the sole reason of supporting a vendor's efforts to single-handedly
control TLS? What about if/when SSH moves into TLS? Does that
mean that the above must also support that?

> If there are any questions as to our authority to request such changes,
> these changes have been run by the WG Chair, Win Treese
> <treese@OpenMarket.com>and Jeff Schiller <jis@mit.edu> is the IESG area
> director over the TLS WG. In addition, these requests were run by Netscape,
> Microsoft, the SSL-Talk mailing list and the IETF-TLS working group mailing
> list, and rough consensus was achieved before being sent to you.

> ..Christopher Allen                  Consensus Development Corporation..
> ..<ChristopherA@consensus.com>                 1563 Solano Avenue #355..
> ..                                             Berkeley, CA 94707-2116..
> ..Home of "SSL Plus:                      o510/559-1500  f510/559-1505..
> ..  SSL 3.0 Integration Suite(tm)" <http://www.consensus.com/SSLPlus/>..

----
Pat Richard
patr@x509.com