Re: TWO WEEK LAST CALL: Regularizing Port Numbers for SSL.

Tom Weinstein writes:

> The question, then, is do we reserve special ports for protocols that
> sit over SSL, or do we try to negotiate up to SSL after connecting to
> the normal port?  If we do the later, I get worried about security.

Yea, there's more ways to shoot yourself in the foot when
you're negotiating SSL/TLS inside another protocol.
I think the problems are surmountable as long as the application
can notify the user (or some decision-making code in the server)
when attempted SSL/TLS negotiation fails.

The biggest drawback to seperate assigned ports for the TLS versions
of N services is the limited port number space below 1024.
Is there any reason (other than convention) for using port
numbers under 1024?  I know some filtering router "firewalls"
will need to be re-programmed, but other than that small problem
why not use ports over 1024?

--
Eric Murray  ericm@lne.com  ericm@motorcycle.com  http://www.lne.com/ericm
PGP keyid:E03F65E5 fingerprint:50 B0 A2 4C 7D 86 FC 03  92 E8 AC E6 7E 27 29 AF