Re: What VERSION number is used for TLS?

At 4:30 AM -0800 12/11/96, Rodney Thayer wrote:
>1. Am I correct the MAC changes will cause this to cease to match SSL 3.0
>exactly?

Yes.

>2. What do we call it?  I have a suggestion.  I suggest we make the label
>of the document and the internal version match.  Furthermore, since we are
>making a significant change to a field in the TLS Record Format
>(TLSCiphertext MAC values will be calculated differently so an SSL 3.0 MAC
>will not match, right?) I suggest it's not a 'minor' revision but rather a
>'major' revision.  THEREFORE...
>
>I suggest we call both the SPEC and the PROTOCOL "TLS 4.0".

Hmm, I don't think this is a major revision of the protocol. 2.0 to 3.0 was
a major revision, 3.0 to TLS is minor in comparison. At most, it is a 3.1.

>Comments?  Corrections?

Basically I think that TLS is a 1.0 protocol -- it is the first version of
what we hope will become an IETF protocol (which requires we go through
proposed standard, draft standard, internet standard). The fact that there
is some bits on the wire in hello messages that will probably say "3.1" for
backward compatibility reasons has little to do with the fact that we are
only now officially going the first time through the standards process.

I'll not object if the overwhelming consensus is that it should be 3.1, but
I would prefer that the version number of the documents be 1.0.

..Christopher Allen                  Consensus Development Corporation..
..<ChristopherA@consensus.com>                 1563 Solano Avenue #355..
..                                             Berkeley, CA 94707-2116..
..Home of "SSL Plus:                      o510/559-1500  f510/559-1505..
..  SSL 3.0 Integration Suite(tm)" <http://www.consensus.com/SSLPlus/>..