RE: Repost of CompuServe Position on Passphrases

> From: Keith Ball <Keith_Ball@novell.com>
>
> The issues for password seem to be based on technical strength versus
> business need.
>   [...]
> Has anyone tried a compromise?  How about making it so additional
> authentication methods could be added to the handshake protocol.

No. The "good" (again, I don't think static passords themselves are
a good idea) thing about the current password proposal is that it
cannot corrupt the authentication mechanism used by TLS.

The only thing the proposal does is protect passwords from sniffers
*using* the authentication strength of TLS instead of it's (possibly weaker)
encryption strength.  This is a safe technical option - it does not
reduce the strength of TLS authentication or encryption.

It may or may not weaken the public perception of TLS - and I by virtue
of being employed by the Government am utterly unqualified to take
any credible position on PR questions :-).

It is just important to remember that the password question as it
stands is entirely an issue of perception, not of technical strength,
and it will have to be decided accordingly.