Re: Openness, change control, future protocol revisions

Christopher Allen wrote:

> At 10:45 PM  -0700 5/9/96, Bennet Yee wrote:
> >Myself, I'd prefer to see this WG (or a subsequent
> >one) specify some minimal core API (for Unix, Windows, and MacOS), so
> >that we wouldn't run into these problems in the future, or at least
> >run into them once for everybody rather than multiply in various
> >different ways for various vendors / freeware implementations.
>
> I'm uncomfortable with this. Hasn't IETF's experience with defining API's
> (as opposed to protocols) been poor? Someone else want to comment on
> their specific  experience of trying to define APIs through an IETF
> standards process?

I agree.  I'd prefer the WG to concentrate on the protocol with, perhaphs,
an information RFC afterwards about a possible API.  I don't want protocol
design hampered by trying to adhere to some predefined API.

--
One tag to rule them all, One tag to find them; One tag | Tom Weinstein
to bring them all, and in the source tree bind them.    | tomw@netscape.com