what is current practice? (ssl2/etc.)

since when is ssl3 "current standard practice"?  last I checked SSL2 was
current practice.  I do not think it is at all reasonable to use either PCT
or SSL3 as some sort of "current standard practice".

I *wholly* agree that PCT and SSL3 and in fact other mutatations of one or
the other or both or something completely different are *completely* valid
proposals.

>Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 10:53:00 -0400
>To: ietf-tls@w3.org
>From: Win Treese <treese@openmarket.com>
>Subject: what's going on
>Sender: ietf-tls-request@w3.org

... parts of message deleted for brevity...

> there is great value in standardizing existing practice rather
>than trying to invent something from whole cloth.

                  Rodney Thayer           ::         rodney@sabletech.com
                  Sable Technology Corp   ::              +1 617 332 7292
                  246 Walnut St           ::         Fax: +1 617 332 7970
                  Newton MA 02160 USA     ::  http://www.shore.net/~sable
                           "Developers of communications software"