Re: Merged Transport Layer Protocol Development

I just wish to say that I also agree that special processing for
pre-encrypted data is a Bad Idea.  A 90-MHz Pentium can encrypt fast
enought to completely fill an ethernet (the ethernet becomes the
limiting factor), and the processing speed is doubling every year.

The overhead from encryption is negligible all but the most
high-volume servers connected to the Internet by something faster than
10Mbits/sec.  (Unless you also do a lot of CPU-intensive processing
that competes for CPU.)

I don't think the complications from special handling are justified.

As for pre-encryption with strong hardware algorithms, it does no harm
to double-encrypt.

    Tatu