Re: Revised Draft Charter

one would like to think the existing body of work on port mappers for the
nfs world could be examined to address this (interesting/valid) concern.
Any NFS types in the crowd?

>Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 01:17:15 -0700
>To: ietf-tls (Transport Layer Security WG) <ietf-tls@w3.org>
>From: timd@consensus.com (Tim Dierks)
>Subject: Re: Revised Draft Charter
>Sender: ietf-tls-request@w3.org
>
>At 1:30 AM 4/6/96, Win Treese wrote:
>>The group may also produce an informational RFC to describe conventions for
>>the interface to a Socket (or transport) layer secure library to build
>>specific applications as well as TCP port number conventions for running
>>secure versions of network applications.
>
>I'd like to see the group address issues surrounding disambiguating secure
>sessions from insecure ones. For example, issues have been raised on the
>SSL-talk list about whether using different port numbers is an appropriate
>method of distinguishing protocols which are identical except for their use
>(or lack thereof) of a secure transport layer. Given the limited number of
>"trusted" port numbers (1024 or so), it seems that multiplying the number
>of services by the number of possible transports might quickly lead to a
>crisis. We should at least discuss methods of sharing ports between secure
>and insecure sessions.
>
>I'd also like to discuss authentication requirements for secure transports
>(i.e., should there be required attributes in X.509 certificates for TLS
>which specify the IP address or DNS name of the host in question), but I'm
>not certain if that isn't already covered by the charter or if it doesn't
>begin to dilute the focus of the working group.
>
> - Tim Dierks
>
>Tim Dierks  --  timd@consensus.com  --  www.consensus.com
>Head of Thing-u-ma-jig Engineering, Consensus Development

                  Rodney Thayer           ::         rodney@sabletech.com
                  Sable Technology Corp   ::              +1 617 332 7292
                  246 Walnut St           ::         Fax: +1 617 332 7970
                  Newton MA 02160 USA     ::  http://www.shore.net/~sable
                           "Developers of communications software"