Re: Comment on Draft Charter

>  Read the draft charter published on this list and noticed
>  the following:
>
>  July 96  Final draft for Secure Transport Layer Protocol
>  "STLP"
>
>  This date wasn't mentioned in the BOF.  Doesn't this
>  presume that a Proposed Standard has already come from
>  the working group?
>
>  Barb Fox bfox@microsoft.com

The *date* was certainly not brought up in the BOF, especially since this is
te crucial, debated expectation of "unification by Montreal". This was not an
oversight, though; the charter discussion explicitly avoided milestone issues
that evening.

Separately, though, I thought I'd note that the WG's 'final draft' is only
the beginning of the stdization process. Final drafts are submitted to the
IESG with a recommendation to Proposed; then a Last Call is held. Later,
evidence of its success can be brought to the IESG to promote it to STD
status.

Besides, I can think of a pretty cool logo for STP -- STLP can't even be
pronounced! :-)

Rohit Khare