Re: TWO WEEK LAST CALL: Regularizing Port Numbers for SSL.

On Tue, 11 Feb 1997 09:12:47 -0800, Tom Weinstein <tomw@netscape.com> wrote:
> Now, what makes you think that if someone like Microsoft or Netscape
> ships a product that uses particular port assignments that it is any
> less "set in stone" than if the IANA registers it?  Once a product like
> that is deployed (especially if it has multi-vendor support), it's
> very hard to make people change what port they're using.
>
> Personally, I'd much rather have the IANA coordinate these port numbers
> than have individual software companies going off on their own.

Agreed.

Nonetheless, if we do find a clean universal solution, we can at least make suggestions to roll it all up into one mechanism, and urge vendors by means of a standards publication to roll their products into this mechanism as well.

Granted, many products will end up supplying both.  However, I believe that all brains in said organizations aren't completely disabled because of their business interests (in fact, they shouldn't be for their success) and someone will adopt a sane spec, if we have one.

Regards,
Chris